My Blog Egg

My Blog Egg
EGG

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Modern Slavery

When someone asks if there is slavery going on now most people will say no.  Well at least I would have said no, so I had to get my handy dandy online dictionary and look at the definition of slavery. This is what i found:
slavery  (ˈsleɪvərɪ
— n

1.
the state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship where by one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune
2.
the subjection of a person to another person, esp in being forced into work
3.
the condition of being subject to some influence or habit
 Number one and two was what I thought the definition would be.  I think of back in the day when African Americans where brought over and forced to work on plantations.  Number three made me understand the slavery is not always forcing someone to do your bidding.  So I came up with these modern day things that fall under the definition of slavery.  
The first one I think everyone would think of right away, at least if they watched or watch as much Criminal Minds, NCIS, Castle, or other murder series on T.V. human trafficking.  Human trafficking is a terrible thing that people do to poor innocent kids. They either bring them in from another country by promising them a better life in American or find kids that ran away or lure kids off.  Whichever way they get kids to follow them it doesn’t matter they drug the kids and use them for money.  
          The second modern day slavery thing I thought of was linked to the human trafficking.  It is being a slave to a drug.  The people in human trafficking are usually given a drug and even if they can escape the trafficking they are usually hooked on the drug.  That is not the only way to become a slave to a drug. Just by doing the drug you can become addicted. 
          So there are probably way more things people can think of for the modern day slavery but my imagination button is broken so I had to make do.  Hopefully it’ll be fixed for the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment