My Blog Egg

My Blog Egg
EGG

Thursday, January 20, 2011

'On Being a Mexican American'

I have recently read a story called “On being a Mexican American” by Joe I. Mendoza, which talks about Mr. Mendoza’s life as he grew up.  He was born in America but raised as a Mexican.  He lived in a total Hispanic neighborhood and spoke Spanish or Spanglish.  It was almost like he lived in Mexico.  As a child he didn’t feel the segregation until he got yelled at by a teacher for being on the wrong side of the school.  As Joe Mendoza grew up he became “Anglocized” because he moved to an all white neighborhood, learned perfect English, went into the U.S. Army, attended a university and married an Anglo woman.  He began to teach at an all white school and felt accepted but when he returned to his home town, he realized how much he had almost forgotten.  He realized that this is where he grew up this is where he was shaped into the person he is today. 
Where you were born, how you were raised, your friends are all things that shape you as a person and no matter how much you try you won’t be able to forget it; they will always be there.  I enjoyed this text because it is very true.  People may be born in America but they are not necessarily considered American in other’s eyes.  And it may be hard to see in you but I know that just by watching my brother I have seen him change friend crowds and I have observed a change in his attitude and how he thinks.  It may be because we are all getting older but it also can be because the people that we surround ourselves with change who we are.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It may just be our environment in general that shapes us. Doesn't necessarily have to do with the culture, although everything we do is supposedly classified as our culture.

    ReplyDelete